Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Why do I do this again?

This morning I got up and went to the kitchen. I got the corn flakes out of the cabinet, grabbed a spoon from the silverware drawer, and proceeded to get a bowl, noticed that I grabbed the last one and thought, "Hmm. Last bowl," and went and sat down at the table to eat my cereal.  After I finished eating I went back into the kitchen, rinsed out my bowl and stacked it with the rest of the already highish pile of dishes in the sink. I then went back to my room to so some cleaning up, put on my glasses and gather my stuff so when Dad was ready we could just head out the door. Once I finished that, I realized that I had used the last bowl and maybe I should put another load of dishes in the dishwasher. There are numerous reasons that I decided to do that. The first was out of obligation. I had taken the last bowl, therefore I should wash them so I can have a bowl tomorrow for my cereal. The second was to keep the peace. My dad is not fond of a pile of dirty anything lying around the house. While neither of these are bad reasons, they are not the reasons that I should have had. The basic thought was, "If I don't do this now, I'll have to do it later."
As a Christian, God has commanded us to be servants. We should strive to serve others in any way possible, as long as it is glorifying to God. Thinking, "If I don't do this now, I'll have to to it later," and not wanting to get fussed at are selfish reasons, and not the reasons that God would want anyone to do anything. If Christ could stoop down to wash his disciples feet, as the creator of all, for their benefit only, then you or I, as his followers should be not only ready and willing, but eager to help and serve those around us. I pray that I will remember this every time i see something that needs doing, or someone that need's a helping hand. I'm not on this world for me to start with. God made me to glorify, praise, and serve Him, and the best form of service to God is for me to serve my fellow man that they may see Him through me.

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts! Keep striving for the true and ultimate reason... What an AWESOME God we have!

    ReplyDelete